Welcome to the first of our Summer Party Recipes feature. We've created six super simple plant based recipes which are all dairy/gluten free so suitable for everyone, easy to make and are full of flavour. We cooked these dishes for a group of friends recently, with a few men who are real meat eaters, and they completely loved them all so we hope you do too. Do let us know if you make any and please tag us at @maia.wellco in any creations you post on Instagram as we'd love to see. Happy cooking!
8 x mini corn on the cob
2 x fresh lime
Handful chipotle chilli flakes
1 tbsp coconut oil/butter
Chopped parsley (optional)
1. Boil the corn on the cob for 3 minutes. In the meantime, melt the coconut oil in a pan on a low heat. Squeeze the two limes into the coconut oil mixture and then add the chipotle chilli flakes.
2. Take the corns out of the water, dry off and place on a griddle pan on a high heat. Cook until the corn starts toasting nicely (before burning it).
3. Place corns in a bowl and mix through the coconut oil mixture evenly so it coats the corns in the delicious marinade.
4. Place corns on a separate place, adding sea salt for seasoning and chopped parsley if you wish.
5. Get your hands messy and enjoy!
One packet of pre cooked freekeh grains (can purchase at Waitrose here)
4 x long Romano red peppers
2 x cloves of garlic
1 x bag of rocket
1 x fresh pomegranate
3 x spring onions
Handful of fresh mint
Handful of crushed pistachios
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. Slice the Romano peppers into long thin strips. Drizzle with olive oil and chopped garlic and pop them in the oven at 180 degrees for approx. 1 hour until roasted and soft.
2. In the meantime, chop the mint, slice the spring onions and crush the pistachios. You can also make the dressing as well in this time using 6 tbsp olive oil, 1 heaped tsp pomegranate molasses and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar.
3. Five minutes before the peppers are ready, heat up the freekeh grains in a pan.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the rocket, the freekeh grains and mix through the cooked peppers. Then add in the pomegranate, mint and spring onions. Drizzle over the dressing, sprinkle the crushed pistachios on top and season with sea salt and pepper if desired.
5. Dig in and enjoy!
4 x sweet potatoes
3 tbsp tahini
1 x lemon
1 x clove garlic
1 tbsp za'atar
3 tbsp water
Bunch of parsley
1. Cut up the sweet potatoes into chunks, drizzle olive oil over them and roast in the oven until golden brown (approx. 1 hour).
2. In the meantime, make the dressing by mixing 3 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp squeezed lemon juice, 3 tbsp water and 1 crushed garlic clove. Whisk to the consistency of honey, adding more tahini/water if preferred.
3. Drizzle the dressing over the sweet potatoes and add some chopped fresh parsley and sea salt to serve.